Friday, September 22, 2006

La Shana Tova -- 5767


There are some days where I have to search for topics for my blog. There are other days like today where there are many things deserving comment or reporting. I could, for example, write this morning about the new CDC guidelines that encourage HIV testing for everyone beginning at age 13. (Is this the same government that wants to deny young people information about condoms and birth control?) I could also share with you how delighted I was to attend my first meeting of the Religious Roundtable of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force yesterday and how honored I was to be elected to their steering committee.

But, tonight is Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, and my thoughts are turned towards its celebration. I resonate with the new year beginning in September rather than the middle of winter. I like the call tonight to reflection, to forgiveness, to charity, to opening a new chapter in one's life. I will attend services today at my dad's congregation; on Sunday, we will observe the New Year in our Unitarian way at my home congregation, the Unitarian Church in Westport. I will take time tomorrow to reflect on my blessings, my shortcomings, and my hopes and prayers for the people I love.

La Shana Tova! Happy New Year. May you be blessed with a healthy and sweet new year. May this be a year of peace.

No comments: