Tuesday, June 26, 2007

There's No Place Like Home

I’m just back from five days on the road, speaking about the connection between sexuality and religion. On Friday, I had the honor of presenting one of the plenary addresses at the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists at their annual meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina. I flew from Charlotte to Portland, Oregon on Friday night, in order to co-lead a workshop on sexual justice at the General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association on Saturday and to co-sponsor a reception with the UUA, RCRC, and UU Women’s Federation for UU sexual justice activists.

It was a tiring but fulfilling weekend. At AASECT, it was great to spend time with colleagues and friends, some going to back 25 years, and to share more about my ministry on sexuality and religion with more than 500 sexologists. It was clear to me that many were at best skeptical about how organized religion addresses sexuality issues, but the long standing ovation at the end demonstrated how supportive and encouraged people are to hear a progressive religious voice on these issues. At the Unitarian Universalist Association, a denomination committed to a wide range of sexual justice issues, I shared the workshop with two women in their twenties who are seeking to organize a new generation of sexual justice activists. My role was to present the history and theology of a religious approach to sexuality issues. I shared with the group that I felt for the first time that I was assuming the role as “elder” and that I would need to grow into that!

The most gratifying part of both meetings were the large number of people who knew the work of the Religious Institute and told me in countless discussions in the hall, exhibits areas, and even the ladies room that they are using our publications and materials in our work. I hope you are as well.

It was a good weekend. It’s good to be home.

No comments: