Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Thanksgiving Valentine

I'm taking a break from all things political, starting this evening. I hope you will too.

Thanksgiving to me is a religious holiday, a spiritual holiday. There is nothing more sacred than giving thanks. Meister Eckhardt, 800 years ago, said that the only prayer we ever real need is "thank you."

And I am so grateful for all my blessings.

I am grateful for my family. And I am so thankful that we will all be together over the next few days.

I am grateful for the chosen family of my heart, those who live near me and those who live far away. You know who you are.

I am grateful for my wonderful colleagues at the Religious Institute and the Christian Community. Kate, Tim, Kayla, Amanda, and Steve, thank you for all you do and all you are.

I am grateful to all who support our work at the Religious Institute.

I am grateful for health -- mine and the health of those I love most in the world.

I am grateful for ministry and the opportunity to serve in the world.

I am grateful to you, my regular readers.

I am grateful for work, education, housing, health care and food -- and acutely aware of how privileged I am to have all of them in a world where so many don't.

I am so blessed and so thankful.

I hope you will take time tomorrow and through the weekend to reflect on all that is good in your life...and to whisper the prayer, "thank you."



No comments: