Monday, June 26, 2006

National AIDS Testing Day


This wonderful piece of art was created just for June 27, 2006, which has been declared as National HIV/AIDS Testing Day by the Centers for Disease Control and the National Association of People with AIDS.

I have accepted an invitation to be a member of the CDC's new Faith Alliance. I was frankly a little surprised to be asked during this administration. They assured me that they knew who I was and my positions on HIV prevention. I had to say yes.

Religious communities have an important role to play in HIV -- churches, synagogues, mosques, and temples can and must educate people how to protect themselves against the virus, we can encourage people to be tested and to reach out for counseling, we can provide solace and support for those who are HIV positive, and we can care for those who are ill. How could we consider doing less?

If you have never been tested and might be at risk, there is no better time than today to make an appointment. Go to www.hivtest.org and find a testing and counseling site near you.

No comments: