Saturday, February 03, 2007

Winning...and Losing

I've just come back from a wonderful afternoon at a New York Times crosswords puzzle contest with Will Shortz, the editor of the NY Times Crosswords. I didn't win...I didn't even come close. I did finish the first two rounds with okay times, but was stumped on the third puzzle. It was fascinating to watch the three folks who were the finalists complete their puzzles in front of a room of people. I was happy to be there.

Crosswords are one of my only hobbies. Frankly, between ministry, the Religious Institute, being a mom, being a friend, and meditating and trying to get to the gym five days a week, I don't really have time for hobbies.

Does blogging count as a hobby? How about checking statcounter.com to see if anyone is reading my blog? Reading other people's blogs? I think they all might count.

I was thrilled this morning to find out that I had won first place in four categories of the UU Blog Awards. This blog won for Best Cultural Commentary, Best Political Commentary - Single Entry, Best Political Commentary - Best of Class, and the one I'm most proud of, Best Minister Blog.

I feel a little like Sally Field -- "You like me, you like me!". Thank you for taking the time to vote for "Sexuality and Religion: What's the Connection." Congratulations to the other winners, including "Peacebang" who won first place in six categories, including Best New Blog. I really enjoy her blog on "Beauty Tips for Ministers".

So, winning and losing...I actually feel really good about both today. I am so blessed to do what I love...whatever the outcome.

3 comments:

DeniseUMLaw said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting through a couple rounds, and on the awards!

As a crossword puzzler myself (and the daughter of a crossword addict who competed in the national competition filmed for the movie Wordplay), I know both how fun and frustrating they can be.

And yes, I do think blogging counts as a hobby.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from a regular "hit" on your stat-counter! ;)