Tuesday, August 28, 2007

This just in...

Despite having pled guilty and paid the fine, now that the story has broken nationally, apparently Senator Craig is now proclaiming his innocence.

This just reported by the Associated Press:


BOISE, Idaho - Under fire from leaders of his own party, Idaho Sen. Larry Craig on Tuesday the only thing he had done wrong was to plead guilty after a police complaint of lewd conduct in a men's room. He declared, "I am not gay. I never have been gay."

"I did nothing wrong at the Minneapolis airport," he said at a news conference with his wife, Suzanne, at his side.

They why walk out of the bathroom after the police officer told him to stop? and why plead guilty and pay the fine? And how do you explain taping the foot of the man in the next stall and reaching under it with your hand three times? (I'm having a hard time picturing this as accidental behavior...I mean really, have you ever touched the foot of someone in the stall next to you by mistake -- and the only time I've put my hand under a stall is to pass someone toilet paper who didn't have any in their's.)

And I don't know if Senator Craig is gay or no. Perhaps he is bisexual. Perhaps he cruises women in public places as well. What I do know is that it certainly seems that now in addition to being a hypocrite, he's a liar. My heart goes out to his wife, Suzanne, who surely must think he did something wrong in that bathroom.

I'll have more to say to the folks who in today's comments think I'm backing away from my support of gay issues in tomorrow's blog. In a word though, it's not the act that concerns me -- it's the hypocrisy.

1 comment:

Jamie Goodwin said...

Based on what I have heard about the case he was either trying to proposition the gentlemen next door or he has some serious emotional problems, or perhaps both.

If he wants to convince others that his acts in the restroom were innocent most people are going to need more than "I did nothing wrong" they are going to need a solid explanation for just the heck he was doing.