Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Sex" in the Suburbs

I'm guessing I was the only minister in the theater for the 4 p.m. showing.

The experience of seeing the movie was a little like what most people say about their "first time." Highly anticipated, glad to have done, but a little bit disappointing given all the build up.

Despite all that you've read about the surprise ending (and I won't reveal plot here either), I thought it was completely predictable. And despite the brief glimpses of nude bodies and coital thrusting, the morality of the movie is surprisingly based in monogamy and convention.

What I liked about the movie is what I liked about the series: the strong friendship among the women, the beautiful clothes, shoes, and handbags, and that women over the age of 40 are smart, beautiful, and sexy. And Jennifer Hudson lights up the movie screen.

The suburban multiplex I went to was full of mothers with their late teenage or young adult daughters. We saw one grandmother/mother/daughter combination. There was only one man in his late sixties in the theater. (The men in this movie are almost non-existent; they are there only as background for the women.)

I'd caution parents with teen children under 17 if they want to bring them to the movie. I'd only seen the TBS/CW version of the series, so I was a bit taken back by the moments of explicitness. Decide in advance if you are ready for your child to see nude people simulating sex. There are teachable moments galore. if you don't know where to start, ask your young adult daughter whether she thinks these brilliant, successful women are making good choices in their lives.

At the end of the movie, I turned to my friend and said, "I think I would have prefered another season on TV." Fans of the TV show will want to go -- the rest of you might as well stay home.

2 comments:

Susan O said...

Well, I was maybe the only minister at the 12:15 showing, then!

Diana said...

My partner and I were definitely the only ministers in the 7:00 p.m. showing in Middle-of-Nowhere, Ohio. But the rest of the audience was made up of a surprising number of (heterosexual) couples. Not as women-dominated as your experience. Oh, and I agree with your assessment of the film: entertaining for those of us who watched the show, but probably not as much for anyone else.