Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Happy 60th Birthday, Rev. Forrest Church

Taking a day off from the world to observe Rosh Hashana was good for my soul.

It also helped not being on email or reading anything about the economic crisis for a day.

It gave me time to look again at "Love and Death: My Journey Through the Shadow of Death." It is the Reverend Forrest Church's meditations on his definition of religion: "our human response to the dual reality of being alive and having to die." Rev. Church was told he had only months to live last winter; he just passed his 60th birthday and his 30th year at All Souls in NYC -- two goals he had hoped to meet. You may have read about him in this weekend's NY Times.

Forrest has been an inspiration to me for a long time. When I finished his book, I went on Amazon.com and bought multiple copies to give to my close friends. I'd urge you to do so as well.

No comments: