Monday, April 28, 2008

Report from LA -- GLAAD media awards

I had the good fortune of being at the GLAAD media awards in Los Angeles this past Saturday night. They were held at the Kodak theater (where the Academy Awards are!), and the room was filled with beautiful and beautifully dressed people and lots of celebrities. My current favorite TV drama "Brothers and Sisters" won the award for best drama for their full inclusion of gay characters. Sharon Stone, Janet Jackson, Joss Stone, Ellen Degeneris, and Rufus Wainwright were some of the stars of the night.

It was incredibly moving to see all of these people turn out to support full inclusion in Hollywood. What was even more moving to me were all of the corporate sponsors for the event -- maninstream, every day U.S. corporations who donated lots of money to support GLAAD's work for full inclusion. It was also remarkable how many shows they had to choose between -- I still remember when a gay character on TV was an oddity -- now many if not most shows cover themes of full inclusion.

Change is happening. I was happy to support GLAAD's work in bringing about that change. I am proud to be colleagues with Neil Guiliano, their President, and Rashad Robinson, their national media director. And I am grateful to work with them.

1 comment:

jadedjabber said...

Was there any discussion about trans issues/invisibility?