Monday, May 21, 2007

Graduation 2007



I cried in the parking lot when I dropped her off the first day of kindegarten.



I sobbed as I drove home when we left her off freshman year.



And as they handed her the diploma yesterday, I surprised myself by bursting into tears.


Each a step for her in the journey to adulthood...each a step for me in letting go.



It makes sense that graduation is also called commencement. Graduation from college is indeed a new beginning. And new beginnings require courage, determination, and a sense of adventure.



May these new beginning be blessed for all of these graduates -- and their parents and families as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man am I in trouble. I'm crying just reading about YOUR daughter and I've got three of my own coming up.

Redhead Editor said...

I cried when my daughter joined a sorority. No liberal pro-choice, independent-thinking Democrat would do such a thing in my opinion. She proved me wrong and kicked some serious butt her 4 years as a Greek, and taught me not to make snap judgments (about people who "pay" to have friends). And yes, I cried at her first day of kindergarten, both graduations (high school and college) and when she won outstanding first yeat teacher last month. Hang in there, Momma.