Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How Could She Have Said That?

I just saw the video where Hilary Clinton says that she wouldn't have gone to a church where Rev. Wright was the pastor.

When I saw the headline on YahooNews, I didn't believe it until I watched it myself.

As a minister and a person of faith, I'm horrified. Surely, Senator Clinton hasn't always agreed with the ministers of the church she has attended. (Although let the frenzy begin -- surely some newsperson or Republican operative or Right Wing organization is carefully combing for extreme sermons from HER pastors.) Surely Senator Clinton knows about the free pulpit and the free pew.

Diverse religious leaders need to stand together and say that attacking anyone's faith or faith communities is wrong. Period. It's not about which candidate you support -- it's about supporting everyone's right to worship as they choose with the religious leader that they choose, even when they sometimes disagree.

3 comments:

Joel Monka said...

What utter nonsense. It's not an attack on "everyone's right to worship as they choose with the religious leader that they choose" to say that you wouldn't attend a church where someone who says things you find offensive is preaching. She didn't say she wanted him silenced; she said she wouldn't go to his church. What on Earth is wrong with exercising one's right to choose where to go to church, or publicly expressing that choice?

I'm aware that there are UU ministers who share Rev. Wright's "faith"- that AIDS was created in CIA labs to kill African Americans, etc., and I won't be attending their services, either. My preferrence for shredded wheat does not impinge on their right to be flakes.

Lilylou said...

I too was shocked, Debra. It is such a pandering thing to do and seems to say that she doesn't get the point of the free pulpit/free church concept nor does she feel a loyalty to the institution.

Chalicechick said...

(((doesn't get the point of the free pulpit/free church concept nor does she feel a loyalty to the institution))))

I would say most lay people don't get the free pulpit concept and it would be odd to expect a non-UCC member to feel a loyalty to the UCC.

CC