Tuesday, February 10, 2009

33 Variations -- My Heart is Singing

[Pat Mitchell, Eve Ensler, Tulia, and me backstage at 33 Variations]


The last three days have been filled with women who inspire me.




The 15 women who transformed at my church as they offered The Vagina Monologues.




The brilliant and brave Eve Ensler who wrote the play -- and whose words and video of the women of the Congo (DRC) inspired our congregants to raise $3600 for the women of the DRC over the weekend.




The courageous women who told me their own stories of sexual violation after the worship services.







Last night, we went to see the premiere of her return to Broadway after 44 years in a new play by Moises Kaufman, 33 Variations. It is an inspiring wonderfully told story of a musicologist, diagnosed with ALS, and the passion that drives her to complete her last major book.




It is an ensemble piece filled with strong performances, but it is Jane's character -- and Jane -- who owned my heart. Her courage in portraying a woman who becomes increasingly disabled, her courage in testing herself to return to Broadway, her ability to speak her truth about what this has been like for her at her blog, awes me.




If you are in the New York area, go see this show.




She invited us to come backstage afterwards. My camera didn't work, so go to Jane's blog later today, and I'm guessing there will be pictures. There were about 10 of us, including Gloria Steinem, Eve Ensler, Pat Mitchell, and Jane Fonda in her dressing room. This is what feminist heaven would look like. I am so grateful she included me.




I am so filled with gratitude and love for all of these women who touched my soul this weekend.




My heart is singing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is only one movie in my life that I paid to see more than once...Goldfinger with the actor Sean Connery and with the titles song sung by Shirle Bassey (sp?)....I saw it 10 times...I've now found the play...33 Variations....it was awesome...

P