Thursday, August 02, 2007

Change, Change, Change


We went to see "Menopause The Musical" last night for my birthday. It seemed like a fitting way to spend my 53rd birthday. My partner, ever the good guy, was one of three men in the audience.

It was fun, in a depressing sort of way. Songs from the 60's and 70's had their words altered to talk about the symptoms of menopause, from "Change, change, change, change of life" to ditties about hot flashes, night sweats, menopausal rage, mood swings, and so on. I couldn't decide if I'm one of the lucky group of women with only minimal perimenopausal symptoms or if the next five years portend a new kind of hell.

Fortunately, the musical ended on an upnote, affirming women's sexuality and "I've Got A New Attitude." I'd prefer to see the next decade as an opportunity for growth, adventure, and change in all the good uses of the word.

You may remember that last year for my birthday I went to see the "Dixie Chicks." I've promised myself that next year I won't follow this trajectory with something like "Grey Gardens."

No comments: