Friday, June 06, 2008

An Extraordinary Week

It has been an extraordinary week. Truly -- extra-ordinary.

Regardless of your political leanings or which candidate (or which party) you have been supporting, I know that you must have joined me teary eyed watching Senator Barack Obama on Tuesday night. You knew you were watching a moment in American History books for decades if not centuries to come. It was a heart singing moment.

My heart sang this week as well when the California Supreme Court announced it would not stay the marriage equality decision. Several of the gay and lesbian people I was with in California this week are planning their summer weddings to their long standing partners. My heart sings with them.

And the General Assembly of New York State voted 102 to 33 to extend workplace protections to transgender persons -- three votes to one. Extraordinary.

And my heart is still singing by the extraordinary people I spent the week with in San Francisco talking about full inclusion of GLBT persons in our nation's churches. The meeting was off the record, but they know who they are, and I am deeply grateful.

No comments: