Wednesday, June 04, 2008

More on Same Sex Marriage

I'm out in San Francisco this week at a meeting of leaders working for full inclusion of LGBT persons in faith communities.

USA Today appeared under my hotel room door this am, and I saw an article labeled "Most say gay marriage private choice." The good news -- in a national USA Today/Gallop Poll, 63% of Americans say that the "government should not regulate whether gays and lesbians can marry the people they choose". Only a third think the government should be allowed to prohibit such marriages. The results held up in ever region and every age group, except people 65 and older.

This is HUGE. It means the American public now gets it -- marriage is a private matter, and each of us should be able to marry the person we chose, regardles of religon, race, or biological sex.

Now, if we could just get the media to stop saying "gay marriage". I don't label myself in a "heterosexual marriage" and I don't perform "heterosexual marriage ceremonies."

The poll shows we're read for it to be "marriage" for us all. The arc of the universe is bending.

1 comment:

Tim Palmer said...

"The arc is long, and it bends toward justice." Rev. King made those words famous, but he took the image from Theodore Parker, the early 19th century Unitarian, who said, "I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one… And from what I see I am sure it bends toward justice." (Thanks to Wikipedia.)