Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Strange Bedfellows


The Kaiser Family Foundation announced yesterday that it has entered into a partnership with the Fox Networks Group to air a series of public service announcements for teenagers on health issues. Called the PAUSE campaign, it is designed in the words of the press release, "to help teens understand the power they have to make difficult decisions on a range of issues including teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases; alcohol and substance abuse; and online safety, among other topics."

Now, I'm all for helping young people make good decisions and encouraging young people to think before they act makes sense. But Fox? Fox news shows have a long history of bashing sex education, abortion, gays, and most other issues I care about. I've had some pretty awful experiences on Fox news shows, and generally say no when I'm asked to appear.

Now, I know that entertainment and news divisions are different -- and my son and I are devoted American Idol and House fans. But I can't help but wonder how editorial may affect the information provided. The list of organizations that will be linked to DOES NOT include Planned Parenthood, Advocates for Youth, Sex Etc, or any gay and lesbian youth organization. What could Kaiser have been thinking?


Technorati Tags:

No comments: